So you’ve enjoyed your Denver fur coat
for the winter, and hopefully even spring, but you might be wondering what to do with your winter coat now that summer is just around the corner. Fur coats are an investment - they are expensive, luxurious, delicate, and beautiful. With proper care of your fur coat, you can actually sell them for more than they are worth! As you are getting ready to store your fur coat for the summer, we’ve compiled some of the best tips for you.
The most important thing you can do is to keep your fur coat from laying out in hot areas and in direct sunlight. Summer heat and humidity dry out the natural oils in a fur coat, leading to brittle hairs and cracking hide that cannot be fully restored. Keep your fur coat in a dark and cool place, a closet is the perfect spot.
There are plenty of things you need to consider when self-storing your fur coat. Self storage is when you decide to store your fur coat at home (in a cool dark place). While storing your coat, make sure you...
- Do not store the fur in plastic. Plastic does not allow for air circulation and contact with the garment bag may cause the hairs to break.
- Leave room around the fur for air circulation. In other words, don’t wedge your fur into an already tightly packed closet. Proper air circulation allows moisture from your body to dissipate before mold can grow.
- Keep the fur dry. If it becomes damp, shake it out and hang it to dry. If it gets soaked, then take it to a Denver leather and fur repair store for restoration.
- Cover the fur with a protective cotton cover. The cotton yields more readily to the press of the fur and allows air to circulate, while shielding the garment from dust.
- Keep insects and other vermin from your fur. Insects and rodents will eat the hide and may nest in the fur, creating a nasty mess and forever ruining the garment. Cedar chips, mothballs, and certain other herbs packaged in a sachet (mint, rosemary, ginger, cloves, lavender, sweet woodruff, tansy, lemon rind) will repel insects.
Something else that’s good? Take your fur coat to a professional cleaner before storing for the summer. Getting your fur coat professionally cleaned once a year will ensure it remains soft, silky, and shiny. Proper cleaning and conditioning prior to storage will extend the life of your fur hats and coats. Fur coats in Denver deserve the same care as fur coats in New York, Chicago, and Minneapolis--places that understand winter just as much as Colorado residents do.
If you’d like help and advice when it comes to self storage, or would like to utilize one of our temperature controlled vaults, contact Jonval Leather & Fur. Jonval’s fur vault is temperature and humidity controlled for proper fur storage. Call (720) 377-1555 or contact us today
to inquire about cleaning, conditioning, and storing your valuable leathers and furs over the hot summer months.